Sunday, June 20, 2010

papas day


Growing up I was always a mommas girl. I loved going to the mall with my mom or sitting in her room while she got all dolled up for an evening out with my dad. We had so much in common: sports, tv shows, our love for clothes and anything in between, but looking back I've realized I wasn't just a mommas girl I was also a daddies girl.

I can remember crawling into my dads lap with the comfort of being safe practically leaking from his soul. My papa would look at me and say "Repeat after me boys are icky, I'm not dating until I am 40". Then thinking no man could ever take the place of this man in my life I would easily repeat his words. As I grew soon those conversations turned into ones where my dad would say, "Now remember if any boy ever hurts you I have a pickup, a shovel and a desert not too far away, no one would ever miss them". I would laugh at his statements but it would take me back to when I was a little girl knowing that my papa would forever protect me.

It wasn't uncommon to find dad making breakfast singing into a spatula or waking me up with a guitar in hand singing me back into reality. Many times my brothers and I would run from one room to the next where we would encounter our dad on the ground waiting for us to tackle him. As we grew we would run from one room to the next when we heard our code word "scatter" meaning papa bear is now awake hide because you are the ones that woke him!

These little moments along with the other memories I have created with my dad over the years have been amazing. I have realized how much I am loved by my papa and how much I love him. He is an amazing man and I would be lucky to meet and marry someone half as amazing as him. I am honored that I have a dad like him and thankful for a day in which we get to celebrate someone so important.

I love you papa happy fathers day!

No comments:

Post a Comment