Saturday, January 16, 2010

the beginning


I decided to start blogging for the same reason most people do: to document my life so that others can read and understand me. I believe that we all have a story to tell... some may be more interesting to others, but I'll let you decide where mine falls. I'm hoping that through this my families story will be heard and accepted. My family is uniquely different than any other you will meet. I hope that through our story a different view on life will be surfaced... so let's start at the beginning...

Like I said I grew up in a not so typical family. Up until the age of eight my family was your average American blond haired, light eyed, five person family. I had two older brothers and two parents that loved each other, but in the second grade everything changed practically over night. After looking into foster care, getting licensed and moving into a bigger house we quickly went from a family of five to eight. Now eleven years later my home is packed full of children (fourteen to be exact), toys and many different personalities. The ages of children range from four to twenty-two and of course there is never a dull moment.

Living in a house full of people, many of whom have disabilities, life can be rough. None the less I wouldn't have it any other way. I know it seems like my parents are crazy, and to be honest I don't see how they are still sane but through God's grace they have put their own needs aside to help the orphans. Yes the house is loud and time-outs are a constant necessity, but this is the only way of life my family has known. Many times my brothers and sisters come home talking about a new school friend and express how weird it is that their family is all one color and none of them are adopted. :]

This life is simply the way we live and the sacrifices we have made. Now don't get me wrong sometimes it is hard and there are moments I catch myself wondering what life would be like if it was only my brothers and I but then remember that I would not be who I am today and I would never change a second.

I have been taught a valuable lesson over the years... that we are blessed to be a blessing.

No comments:

Post a Comment