Monday, January 25, 2010

Blessings


I was able to go home today to celebrate Joel's 21st birthday with the family. Though he doesn't officially turn 21 until February 10th we decided to celebrate before he moved back to college. During this time of fellowship I was again reminded of how the simplest things in life make it all worth living.

We started the night of with a delicious meal of Chipotle for the older kids and tostadas for the younger ones. For every birthday we go around the dinner table expressing why we love the birthday boy or girl and it is always so precious to hear the little kids express their love for us. After dinner we cleaned up and turned on the wii.

Though it is said that video games are a waste of money, I am now convinced that they are not. From this little electronic game I laughed harder than I have in weeks. We started of our game playing first with Mario Brothers then turned on the Band Hero. Watching the kids play their instruments and hearing them sing along brought a smile to my face. For this short amount of time they were all getting along and happy, there was not a care in the world. Life at that moment was simple and enjoyable. The time flew bye and soon enough it was time for bed. The tv was turned off, prayers were said and beds were filled with little bodies.

I caught a conversation between my mom and my brother where she was expressing how because it is the end of the month money is tight like usual. It caught me off guard thinking that after a night of excitement and laughter my parents could be under so much stress. It reaffirmed the idea that money is not the key to happiness. Though my family is struggling, and I would give anything to help my parents out, that is not where our source of joy comes from. Our joy comes from each other, from the love that we carry for one another. On nights like these I get on my knees and thank the Lord for His blessings, that He has given me such a family as this. I need to remember that the little that we do have is an abundant more than what I deserve, and that though my family doesn't have the riches we need or want here on earth we have each other which is far greater than what money can buy.

I am blessed beyond measures with an AMAZING family!

No comments:

Post a Comment